[gtkada] Future of GtkAda Windows XP support

Emmanuel Briot briot at adacore.com
Mon Jan 23 10:33:59 CET 2017

>> Microsoft itself no longer supports XP.
>
> Yes, but in a different sense. You still can build for Windows XP target. MS really killed only NT, as you cannot build for that target anymore, at least not with the standard Windows header files.

No, that’s the same sense exactly. You can still build with the same version of GtkAda you were using
for Windows NT, things do not get “broken” magically.
Newer versions of GtkAda are untested on XP

> Say, somebody buys GNAT Pro for Windows. Does it mean that AdaCore will not support builds targeting Windows XP SP3?

I think that’s the case, although you should certainly discuss with sales at adacore.com for such requirements. AdaCore
is very flexible and customer-oriented when it comes to the list of supported platforms.

> It is the old projects which are in peril due to the change. The latest GPL GtkAda runs well on Windows XP with the GTK binaries it comes with. It does run not with MSYS2 GTK

You are not consistent. If it is an old project, then by all means stay with the old GtkAda as well.

> My question is if these issues will appear in the coming GtkAda binary distributions or AdaCore plans to fix [some of] that.

No, we do not test on XP.