[gtkada] Patch: Add a command variable for Python.

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Thu Jan 30 19:24:00 CET 2014

Emmanuel Briot wrote:
> > Fedora's policy is to build all software from source. I asked about
> > how to apply that to generated "source" files, and Tom Callaway
> > replied:
>
> And the sources of GtkAda are the ones that are checked in.
> The way they are generated is irrelevant to Fedora.

This is one of many ways that Adacore's and Fedora's philosophies
differ.

I work to make Ada more readily available to programmers. To
programmers working in other languages there are lots of libraries and
tools available and ready to use. Just do a simple "yum install" and
start hacking. I want Ada to have that advantage too. To that end I
package Ada libraries in Fedora, and to do that I have to follow
Fedora's policies. Packaging Adacore's software takes a relatively
large amount of work because of the radically different philosophies,
but I do my best to keep GTKada and the packages that depend on it from
dropping out of Fedora.

If you think Fedora's philosophy is wrong, then you may write to
packaging at lists.fedoraproject.org and try to convince the Fedora
Packaging Committee that yours is better. I'm not going to act as a
courier in that debate.

Björn Persson