[gtkada] Surprised by the changes to GTK 3.0

Dmitry A. Kazakov mailbox at dmitry-kazakov.de
Mon Jul 1 16:32:24 CEST 2013

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:29:53 +0200, you wrote:

> On the other hand, I believe you will find the new Cairo interfaces much easier to use for drawing
> than anything else that was there before, so you will likely benefit from it.

Yes, but why didn't they re-implemented GDK drawing on top of Cairo? Which
would be quite straightforward to do. Probably backward compatibility is
not in their culture...

BTW, I forgot to mention

n+1. Widget styles. It is style contexts now, much different.

n+2. Another subtle change is that Gdk_Color was replaced in many places
with newly introduced Gdk_RGBA. The latter has alpha. It is a welcome
change, no doubt, but the effect is that the logic of drawing becomes quite
different. Where a you used the background color to erase the background,
now you should rather use transparent alpha in the foreground.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov