[gtkada] Surprised by the changes to GTK 3.0

Emmanuel Briot briot at adacore.com
Mon Jul 1 15:29:53 CEST 2013

> My problem is that I used the toolkit at a very low level (GDK). I did not use any of the GTK widgets or GLADE to generate my own personal widgets.  GDK really got altered.  Now I have to use Pango and Cairo which I didn't need to before and the interfaces to those are way different than what GDK had.

Ouch.
On the other hand, I believe you will find the new Cairo interfaces much easier to use for drawing
than anything else that was there before, so you will likely benefit from it.
In the GTK part, GtkAda will also let you override the default draw and size-related signal handlers,
which is more convenient than connecting to the signal and trying to make sure the gtk+ default is
never run.