[gtkada] Build from source code

John Marino adacore at marino.st
Sun Aug 18 21:20:13 CEST 2013

On 8/18/2013 20:58, Chris Sparks wrote:
> Yes maybe so.  I was more curious why Adacore would provide the source
> files without a clue as to how they are compiled.

In my experience, the Adacore source tarballs come with "build/install"
instructions to cover building from source.  They are generally complete
although the configure and .gpr files sometimes have additional information.

They don't provide instructions on how to build dependencies, nor would
I expect them to provide them.

> I just needed a little direction in recreating the gtkada toolset from
> scratch so that I can get debugging info into the compiles. I have found
> so many compilation issues that I cannot resolve that is disheartening.

This is why Ludovic's work in Debian and my work in *BSD is so important
[1].  We've already done all this and wrote down the recipe in the form
of make/build files.  Yes, there are tricks and undocumented things
sometimes, but these package systems capture that knowledge.  To
recreate all of that on your own is reinventing the wheel.

[1] There are similar efforts by Slack and Arch users.

> I did find that my version of Msys/Mingw was old and I upgraded it.  It
> only helped in rebuilding zlib! LOL

Okay, I can see where Windows would make you reinvent the wheel.  Pkgsrc
might work on windows but other than that, I don't know of previous
efforts.  That might also explain why you feel that the install
instructions are lacking.

John