[gtkada] distributing GtkAda apps

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Fri Oct 26 10:12:14 CEST 2012

Hello,

some questions how to deploy GtkAda application...

In the mailing list's archive I saw some old (from 2004) message
stating: "The trouble is that GtkAda does not allow static linking, and I don't
want to distribute shared libraries (I want to keep installation
SIMPLE)."

I've similar approach - will develop on Free(PC)BSD and can provide
port(PBI) for Free(PC)BSD and package for some Linux distros, but my
feeling is that Mac OS X and especially Windows users are accustomed to
'just install' application.

Otoh, GtkAda User's Guide says: "This dependency is optional since
gtkada supports both static and dynamic linking, so by e.g. using
gtkada-config –static or by using gtkada_static.gpr, you will end up
linking with libgtkada.a."

(http://docs.adacore.com/gtkada-docs/gtkada_ug/_build/html/getting_started.html#how-to-distribute-a-gtkada-application)

so I wonder whether something has changed in between in regard to
distribution of GtkAda application or distributing GtkAda application
on Windows/Mac is basically the same as with GTK+ application written
in C?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The working senses are superior to dull matter; mind is higher
than the senses; intelligence is still higher than the mind;