[gtkada] de-gnatchop and GtkAda 2.24

Ludovic Brenta ludovic at ludovic-brenta.org
Mon Jun 11 11:06:48 CEST 2012

"Op de Coul, Manuel" <Manuel.op.de.Coul at eon.com> writes:
> The source line that triggers the bug is the end statement of a long
> generic procedure.
>
> +===========================GNAT BUG DETECTED==============================+
> | 4.6.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) in compensate_edge, at reg-stack.c:2781        |
> | Error detected around scale_functions-show_data.adb:1415:8               |
>
> And the source list contains 348 files. I wouldn't know where to begin
> with a reproducer.  The bug as it turns out is not gnat bug but a gcc
> bug that's already 7 years old and keeps coming back:

OK, nice that it is fixed at last in GCC 4.8; when I start packaging
gnat-4.7 for Debian I'll try to remember that I should backport the fix.

> Anyway I can continue compilation if I compile one package without
> optimisation (-O0).  So that's the tip if anyone else encounters this.

I'm not surprised.  It is possible to work around most GCC backend bugs
with -O0 and around most front-end bugs by omitting -gnatVa; these are
the first things I try, besides trying to isolate the bug in a small
reproducer.

> After upgrading Ubuntu I of course also needed to recompile
> GtkAda. Because synaptic found two new libgtkada packages with version
> 2.24 I installed those. It has some incompatibilities with 2.18 which
> I want to work on but I can't find it at
> http://libre.adacore.com/download/.  The highest versions are still
> 2.18. I would to download the Windows and the complete source
> packages. Are they going to be available soon?

I'm not sure what your question really is.  The version of GtkAda that
Debian includes comes straight from AdaCore's Subversion public source
repository, see the changelog of the package for the exact revision
used.  AdaCore has not yet released 2.24.1 in a GPL Edition for Windows
and I think they will probably release 2.24.2 instead, or possibly even
a version 3 which they're currently working on.  If you want the same
revision in Debian and on Windows, you should use either the sources
from Subversion or a GPL Edition.

--
Ludovic Brenta.