[gtkada] de-gnatchop

Ludovic Brenta ludovic at ludovic-brenta.org
Wed Jun 6 12:46:07 CEST 2012

Manuel Op de Coul wrote:
> I can try that, but what if the bug is related to the source size and
> cannot be reduced much?

That would be very surprising. The only limitation to the program size
I can think of is memory, in which case you'd get a segmentation fault
in the compiler at various points in your compilation run, depending on
your machine's current memory.  From what you said, you seem to always
get a bug box at the same point in your program.

> And maybe easily found looking at the bug printout?

If that's the case, you don't need a reproducer :) (maybe my definition
of "easily" is not the same as yours)

> Do people put the files together one by one by hand in an editor?

Personally, I first look at the line that triggers the bug (as reported
in the compiler's bug box) and I try to construct a test case in a
separate file.  I don't copy-paste anything because, usually, the
coding conventions and identifier names just get in the way; my
reproducer uses identifiers that are neutral or help understand the
language constructs, not the intent of the program.  It usually takes
effort to construct the reproducer, which is why you can't expect
unpaid volunteers to do that for you :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.