[gtkada] improvements to the GtkAda build system

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sat Feb 26 22:19:09 CET 2011

Arnaud Charlet wrote:
> Apparently you've changed DEFAULT_LIBRARY_TYPE to be shared by default,
> which is not what we want.

I noticed that --enable-shared would enable building shared libraries and set
DEFAULT_LIBRARY_TYPE to "relocatable", and --disable-shared would disable
building shared libraries and set DEFAULT_LIBRARY_TYPE to "static", but the
default was a hybrid behaviour that didn't correspond to either of --enable-
shared and --disable-shared. It seemed like an obvious bug, especially since
shared libraries is the default in gtkada-config, so I figured I'd fix it.

If that's actually what you want, then I don't want to change it, but I think
it should be documented better so that users will know what to expect. I have
changed it back so that the default is "static" except when only shared
libraries are built, and improved the help text.

> Note that you'r patch contains lots of different changes, some which may
> not be desirable, some which may.
>
> I would suggest splitting the change into small patches, that will make
> it much easier to review the changes, and to integrate them.
>
> In particular, the DESTDIR change is mostly mechanical and orthogonal to
> the other changes, so I'd suggest creating a standalone patch for this
> change.
>
> Same for debuginfo, for --enable-static, etc...

While most of my changes are functionally orthogonal to each other, they
frequently affect the same lines of code. If I make a separate patch for each
functional change, then most of the patches will depend on each other and will
have to be applied in the right order. If you'd reject one, then the later
ones in the chain would fail.

To avoid having to redo a lot of work, I think I'll submit separate patches
one at a time and wait for you to review each one before I make the next one.

I'm attaching separate patches for the two changes that aren't entangled with
the others. These are the Debuginfo build type and linking the sublibraries to
the main library. I'm also attaching patches for the changes discussed above –
the --disable-static option and the help text.

Once I know what you think about these patches I'll make the next one. If
you'd like to review them in some particular order, let me know.

Björn