[gtkada] GtkAda License?

John B. Matthews trashgod at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 13:59:25 CEST 2009

On Jun 14, 2009, at 2:51 AM, Arnaud Charlet wrote:

>> Thank you for responding. I intend to seek counsel, but she will want
>> to examine the relevant licensing terms. Were I to distribute a
>> binary
>> version of the example cited, it would include two instances of the
>> generic package Gtk.Handlers and one instance of Gtk.Main.Timeout. In
>> addition, it would  link to code derived from your exemplary
>> Double_Buffer package.
>
> OK well we're into "what if" now :-)

Well, that's why I referenced a concrete example :-)

> As I said, without giving legal advice which I'm not qualified to
> do, things are pretty simple:

I appreciate your candor and patience, but I'm still a little confused.

> All the GtkAda code from libre that you are using is licensed under
> pure GPL, with no "exception", so either your code is distributed
> with a license compatible with the GPL, and you are fine, or it is
> not (e.g. using a proprietary license) and in this case, you could
> be in trouble.

Of course, I wish to avoid trouble :-) I frequently produce and
consume GPL, GMGPL and LGPL licensed software, and I am happy to
comply with the terms of redistribution.

Many of the GtkAda source files contain the text of the GMGPL
exception; some do not. Are you saying I should not rely on the
presence or absence of the exception in the individual source texts
obtained from this repository:

<http://svn.eu.adacore.com/anonsvn/Dev/trunk/GtkAda>?

Thanks,

John