[gtkada] GtkAda License?

John B. Matthews trashgod at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 02:49:27 CEST 2009

On Jun 13, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Arnaud Charlet wrote:

>> If I don't distribute GtkAda, do I need a GtkAda Pro license? For
>> example,
>>
>> <http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/gtk/lady.html>
>
> I would suggest discussing this with a lawyer if you're interested,
> this
> list is not really appropriate for this kind of "what if such and
> such"
> legal questions.
>
> That being said, assuming "lady.html" is distributed under the GPL,
> then
> the use of GtkAda from the libre site seems appropriate to me.

Arno,

Thank you for responding. I intend to seek counsel, but she will want
to examine the relevant licensing terms. Were I to distribute a binary
version of the example cited, it would include two instances of the
generic package Gtk.Handlers and one instance of Gtk.Main.Timeout. In
addition, it would  link to code derived from your exemplary
Double_Buffer package. It would include no other GtkAda code. All
three files are marked as permitting redistribution under the terms of
the GNU General Public License, version 2, and each file includes an
exception for instantiating generics and linking. Are there any other
licensing terms that would apply?

Thanks,

John
--