[gtkada] Problems running testgtk.

Jeffrey D. Cherry jeffrey.cherry at verizon.net
Tue Jun 20 07:18:40 CEST 2006

Hello,

I just installed GtkAda from the GNAT GPL 2006 package.  The installation
reported no problems.  I tried running the testgtk.exe file from a command
shell with the current directory "d:\GtkAda\share\examples\gtkada\testgtk" and
it gave me the following error:

"The procedure entry point gdk_pixbuf_save_utf8 could not be located in the
dynamic link library libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll."

Thinking there is a conflict between two or more "dll" files of the same name,
I moved to the "d:\GtkAda\bin" directory and tried running testgtk.exe again
using a fully qualified path.  The application started successfully.  However,
it did have problems running several of the tests - presumably because it is
designed to be run from its original directory.  For example, on the "Gtk demo"
tab, after expanding the "Containers" tree, if I select "handle box", the
progream aborts with "raised PROGRAM_ERROR : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION".

Checking "d:\gnat\gpl_2006\bin" and "d:\gtkada\bin" for ".dll" files, sure
enough, there are several ".dll" files of the same name but have different
sizes, which I assume is the source of the error.  I checked the path and found
"d:\gnat\gpl_2006\bin" before the "d:\gtkada\bin" directory.  When I put
"d:\gtkada\bin" at the beginning of the path, then running testgtk.exe from its
own directory, I got one error.  The error I got was under the "Gtk demo" tab,
under the "Composite Widgets" branch, selecting the "plot" item, I got the
error "GLib-ERROR**: gmem.c:172:failed to allocate 624 bytes aborting...".
After the application aborted, I got the following at the command shell "This
application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."  The only
other failure was on the "OpenGL demo" tab which gave the message that "OpenGL
has not been installed on this system.", which I can't really call an error.

I'd like to use GtkAda on a couple of projects, but these errors concern me.
Is there a way to identify a particular ".dll" file in a particular directory
in order for the application to not depend on the system path?  Perhaps a
linker option pragma?  Is the cause of the access violation error due to a
problem with Gtk or the testgtk application?  Is the GLib error due to a
problem in GLib, or is it because of a problem running under my operating
system?

Details on my system are as follows:
Microsof Windows XP Professional x64, Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 1 Build
3790
Processor: EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3412 Mhz (dual
core, hyper-threading)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 0606, 10/30/2005
Total Physical Memory: 2,046.93 MB