[gtkada] patch for mac

Arnaud Charlet charlet at ACT-Europe.FR
Tue Jul 27 00:27:33 CEST 2004

> OK.  I'll note some more Darwin oddities.  You can not force the linker
> to choose static libraries with a "-l<name>" flag if a .dylib is
> available.  If "gtkada-config --static" works by listing the full path
> to the static archive, then it'll work on darwin.

That's the way all unix linkers work, that's not an oddity.
And yes, gtkada-config --static works by listing the full path to the
static archive.

> OK, it's your project, but it really only builds on a software
> monoculture of ELF platforms.  The link line *will not work* on darwin

Certainly not, gtkada is built on many non-ELF systems, e.g. Tru64.

> without major changes.  No combination of SO_OPTS and SONAME will give
> you a working command.  In fact I can't even craft a valid SONAME
> because that's coded as "libgtkada-$(MAJOR).$(MINOR)$(SO_EXT).$(MICRO)"
> unless I change the meaning of SO_EXT and MICRO which breaks a lot more.

> No.  I can not and will not change Apple's compiler driver.  The
> "-shared" flag has no meaning on Darwin.  There are seven different
> output formats from the linker, at least three of which could be
> indicated by "-shared".  OTOH, it looks like "-shared" just generates a

That's pretty much similar to other platforms.

Anyway, your call. I can't comment further without seeing the actual
proposed changes.

Part of the trouble is that you seem to be making lots of assumptions which
are at least partly wrong, and therefore may be making your life harder
than necessary.

Arno