[gtkada] patch for mac

Chris Douty Chris_Douty at ampex.com
Mon Jul 26 20:48:56 CEST 2004

On Saturday, July 24, 2004, at 09:37 AM, James E.Hopper wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> thanks for all the work.  I can hack the makefiles and configure files
> but didnt know how to move up the chain.
>>
>>  I do not have GNOME or Glade installed, so I can't test those
>> portions of the kit.
>
> if you want to send me your stuff i can try it as i use glade all the
> time, though not gnome on mac.

I was going to try to let darwinports install at least glade for me, so
I'll try it myself.  If that doesn't work I'll happily send you my work.

>> My first attempt just built static libraries and testgtk worked
>> except for OpenGL.  The program just crashed on clicking the OpenGL
>> pane.  Heartened, I set out to build dylibs (the darwin version of
>> shared libraries).  Here is where it gets nasty, and I am proceeding
>> slowly.
>
> there is some extra options you need to configure to get opengl
> support to work.  i know it works as i use it all the time to do
> gtk/gl GUI's on mac, that i then recompile for linux.  if you will
> send me your stuff i will work out that problem for you.  its been a
> while since i did it so i will have to rebuild gtkada to remind myself
> how i did it.

Huh.  I don't get any errors on compile.  It just fails at runtime.
Again, if I can't figure it out I will send you my work-in-progress.

>>  Darwin does not have the concept of LD_LIBRARY_PATH in quite the
>> same way that Linux does; rather you must give both the final
>> installation path and temporary development path for each library
>> when linking the lib.
>
> DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH
> Specifies the directory search path for dynamically loaded libraries.

That's similar and can be used the same way, but most users never set
it.  Darwin essentially builds everything with an RPATH so that
environment variable is unnecessary.  Linux et al. rely on
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or a path set with ldconfig.

>> The naming convention for libraries is different in Darwin such that
>> the last string must be ".dylib".  Darwin also implements a "current
>> version" and "compatible version" scheme in libraries so that
>> programs will get link failures rather than erroneous execution.  I
>> have no idea how to set this for GtkAda.
>
> I have set it up in the past.  i can help you offline with that.

It's not that I can't fill in the values or don't know what they mean,
it's that I don't know what good values are.  For example it is
probably OK to say that this putative 2.4.0 is compatible with 2.2.1 or
above but I don't know that for sure.  It might be best to say current
= 1 and compatible = 1 and then let the dylib name do the versioning
for us.  By encoding the GtkAda version in the library name, so most
open source libraries do the runtime linker will only look for
libgtkada.2.4.0.dylib.

I think that current version and compatible version are more for
Frameworks where the library file name does not change.  This issue
might be unimportant for GtkAda, since I don't plan on doing a
Framework.  (Might be neat though.  Probably only worthwhile if the Mac
native Gtk+ port becomes usable.)

Cheers,
	Chris

--
Christopher Douty <Chris_Douty at ampexdata.com> +1-650-367-3129
Senior Engineer, Software & Systems  - AMPEX Data Systems Corp.