[gtkada] Distributing a GTKAda application

Chris Douty Chris_Douty at ampex.com
Mon Jul 26 19:40:46 CEST 2004

On Monday, July 26, 2004, at 07:57 AM, Peter Hermann wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 04:12:50PM +0200, Pascal Obry wrote:
>>> It is not funny to hex-edit an executable in search of needed DLLs
>>> :-(
>> That's not needed, you can use ldd on GNU/Linux / UNIXes, there is a
>> similar tools on Windows (I just can't remember the name right now...)
>
> We should roll our own free portable open source Ada tool
> (if not already there)
>
>    ...  for advocacy

I dunno about that.  What do you want this tool to do?

GNU binutils already provides a wide variety of ELF examination and
manipulation tools.  Windows and Mac OS X use radically different
executable file formats.  I think that VxWorks uses an ELF format these
days.  Even if the executable formats center on a few standards, the
dynamic loaders are all OS specific.

Free and open source, yes.  Portable and Ada-based?  Knock yourself out.

Cheers,
	Chris

--
Christopher Douty <Chris_Douty at ampexdata.com> +1-650-367-3129
Senior Engineer, Software & Systems  - AMPEX Data Systems Corp.