[gtkada] Problems with upgrading Mine Detector game to GtkAda 2.2/Win98

Jeffrey Carter jrcarter at acm.org
Fri Sep 5 22:13:28 CEST 2003

I've been trying to upgrade the game to 2.2 on Win 98 with GNAT 3.15p,
and have run into some problems I can't figure our how to work around.
I've checked the list archives and comp.lang.ada without finding any
solutions.

The first problem is the MS Sans Serif 8 problem others have reported:

** (mine_detector.exe:4294467463): WARNING **: Couldn't load font "MS
Sans Serif 8" falling back to "Sans 8"

As Mine_Detector has 480 toggle buttons, many of which have their text
changed in response to user actions, all the resulting output has a
noticeable impact on performance. I have not been able to find a way to
eliminate these messages. I've tried using Set_Use_Markup to use Sans 8,
but have always had the markup appear in the labels' text.

The other problem is the use of a Gtk_Text inside a Gtk_Scrolled_Window
to display the rules of the game. This worked OK with 1.13.2, although
it displayed a black box at the end of wrapped lines. With 2.2, no
visible text is displayed, although there are little arrows displayed at
the ends of what should be wrapped lines (where the boxes appear with
1.13.2), and one can scroll the window vertically. Displaying the rules
dialog also generates some MS San Serif 8 warning messages.

Any assistance will be gratefully received.

I realize Win98 is not technically supported, but it's where the 1.13.2
Windows version was created, so it seems that a 2.2 version should work
there, too. I'm doing a Windows version first because GtkAda seems to
have more problems under Windows than under Linux.

Thanks for any assistance.

--
Jeff Carter
"You couldn't catch clap in a brothel, silly English K...niggets."