[gtkada] New Fileselector

Preben Randhol randhol at pvv.org
Mon Feb 24 13:08:07 CET 2003

I'm thinking about making a new fileselector for GtkAda 1.2/2.0. I see
that the default fileselector for 2.0 is as poor as that of 1.2. So
unless there is another fileselector in GtkAda 2.0 or somebody else has
made one I would like to start making one. I will develope on Linux, so
if somebody will help me make sure it works in Windows too it would be
great. I have started making some custom widgets/dialogs in a library I
have called GAC (GtkAda Composites) and I was thinking to add the
fileselector here. It will also be GNAT dependant unless somebody help
me make it compiler independant and platform independant.

However I would really like if others could give suggestions on what to
be included and what not to be included etc... Glade XML files are
welcomed. The fileselector of KDE looks quite good. I would like to do
something similar.

Some points I want to see:

   Home button     (My Documents in Windows)
   Document button (Don't know what to call it, but this should bring
                    you to a directory defined by the program.)

   Bookmark menu   (List of favorite directories)

   Create Directory

   Seperate Directory and Filename Entry
                                    (Filename should not be lost
                                     just because you change to another
                                     directory)
   Tab Completion
   File extension filter

Possibly
   Icons for directories (Not sure about this, but perhaps it will be
                          more user friendly)
   Last opened files menu (Would be nice to make this application
                           dependant, but I'm not sure how to best do it.)

what I won't add is:

   File Preview.   (However I want to make it so that if somebody wants
                    to make a preview function the fileselector can
                    easily be extended through a child package.)

--
Preben Randhol ------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
                 «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»