[gtkada] Locale_To_UTF8 problem

Jacob Sparre Andersen sparre at sslug.se
Sat Dec 20 11:44:45 CET 2003

Manuel Op de Coul wrote:

> The function
> Locale_To_UTF8 (OS_String : String) return String in
> package Glib.Convert raises the exception
> Interfaces.C.Strings.Dereference_Error when the
> input string contains a non-ascii Latin-1 character.
>
> This happens on a number of Linux systems when the
> value of LANG=C for example.

Assuming that GtkAda redefines "Ada.String" to be considered
a string of bytes and not a string of Latin-1 characters,
then this is quite reasonable, since the POSIX locale as far
as I know is defined to use the ISO-646/ASCII character
encoding and not the ISO-8859-1/Latin-1 character encoding.

Jacob
--
»Hetta er ágangur, ein háðan móti menniskjakærleikanum og
 eitt greitt brot á mannarættindini« -- Mannarættindanevndin