[gtkada] How do I include directory browse functionality in my GUI without the GNOME widgets?

dmirfin at qsf.com dmirfin at qsf.com
Fri Nov 8 14:39:45 CET 2002

Firstly, thankyou to Marc, Harring, Horacio and the others who helped me
with my last problem (installing gtkada on XP) a couple of weeks ago.

I am now using gtkada on Redhat 7.3 Linux. I have been able to generate Ada
source code via GLADE. That was until I added a GNOME widget! With a GNOME
widget included in my project I get the pop up error message:

"Error running gate to generate Ada95 source code.
 Check that you have gate installed and that it is in your PATH."

The Linux shell which is executing GLADE simply gives the error message:

"Generating Ada files...
Couldn't generate Ada code. Exiting."

Obviously this is not very helpful so I resorted to reading the gtkada User
Guide (a rare course of action indeed!) and I dicovered that I am not allowed
to use the GNOME widgets which come in the version of GLADE which RH7.3
installs.

So, now I have a problem - how do I include directory browse functionality
in my GUI? Is there a gtkada widget library which offers this kind of
commonly required functionality? If not how do other gtkada users satisfy
this type of GUI requirement?

One final complication - whilst I am currently developing on a Linux platform,
I am intending to port my Ada code to a Solaris platform further down the line
so it would be really nice if any suggested solutions to my problem are
easily portable.

many thanks,

david