[gtkada] GtkAda scroll bars: bugs & features

Preben Randhol randhol at pvv.org
Fri May 31 09:25:25 CEST 2002

Craig Carey <research at ijs.co.nz> wrote on 31/05/2002 (08:49) :

> (1) What can be done to get a GtkAda program display vertical scrollbars
> that resemble closely the scroll bars that Windows 95 shows.

Just change your theme!

http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/923/?topic_id=923

> Can a URL be provided that makes it plain that the GtkAda can be
> flipped over to providing the (presumably unarguably) superior
> Windows 3.1-XP design when there is a real thick slider and it can be
> pulled easily and a click on either side causes a single page
> movement?. Has anybody noticed that GtkAda is lagging behind
> Windows 3.1?.

Yeah right! Perhaps you should use Window 3.1 then. I don't see any
reason for helping rude people.

> (2) There was a comment here about when a mouse right-menu copy or paste
> or something, was done. Have cut, copy, and paste bugs in GtkAda been
> found and removed?.
>
> (3) I was trying Gvd now that the "up arrow" feature of GNAT 3,14p's
> gbd.exe file no longer gives the previous command in the command
> history. Does anybody know how to get that fixed?. I have cygwin
> installed, but having it be not on the path in a DOS window allows
> the problem to be shown.

Ask on the GVD list

> (4) Also Gvd scrolls up two pages and down with a single mouse
> click in the vertical scroll bar region outside of the sometimes
> too-small slider that appears in there. For example, here are
> measurements:

Ask on the GVD list

> Is there any GtkAda application that shows far better looking
> plain Windows scroll bars ?. Bugs in Linux and FreeBSD and XFree86
> and GNOME+KDE that all interact to produce a terrible GUI
> environment for a person with a Microsoft PS/2 mouse, with XFree86
> making at least one decision to retain a bug. I actually need to
> debug kernels to get a tolerable Unix system yet the Motif+Unix
> users have put up with it for a long time. What is wrong with the
> Windows 95 scroll bar design (whether it is a standard can be
> overlooked so long as it is better: using it could be a first move
> towards a better GtkAda.)

http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/923/?topic_id=923

> We get an option soon to have Windows 9x scroll bars soon perhaps?.

I really really don't see why you have to spread all this piss just to
ask if you can get a different looking scrollbar. There are a lot of
people who do not agree with your views and I don't see that they help
in any way. Perhaps you should actually check a couple of things before
spreading FUD to the wind.
--
Preben Randhol ------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
                 «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»