[OT] Mailinglist for Ada programming? (was Re: [gtkada] configura tion files)

Stephen Leake stephen_leake at acm.org
Tue May 28 00:01:23 CEST 2002

"Ebert, Rolf" <rolf.ebert at bms.de> writes:

> Although I do not regard .ini files as typical Unix configuration files, I
> do use them in my programs on Windows as on Unix, too.

We don't necessarily need "typical Unix config files", we just need
"standard GtkAda config files".

> I recently had a look at Java property files. They are simpler in
> structure as - there are no section marks like [section] - values
> can only be text strings
>
> A hierarchy of values is achieved by having a package prefix in dot notation
> for the keys, like:
> dirsync.gui.show_ignored=true
> dirsync.gui.view_selection=all

I like the hierarchy for keys. Saying the values are "only strings"
isn't very meaningfull; all values in the file are represented as
ASCII, so using 'Value and 'Image is an easy way to get numerical
values.

> Anyway, here is my spec file for reading .ini and .prop files:

<snip package spec>

I prefer an abstract data type over an abstract data object; I may
want to deal with several config files at once. And I definitely want
to be able to write values to the file.

--
-- Stephe