[gtkada] Underlined menu shortcuts

Larry Elmore ljelmore at home.com
Wed May 16 02:14:03 CEST 2001

Preben Randhol wrote:

> The problem is if you do:
>
>    Gtk_New (Window1.Kon_Tiki1, -"_KonTiki");
>
> That is if you use the locales. Ok KonTiki is a boat so it would be the
> same in most languages,

KonTiki is (going to be) Yet Another File Browser. I've tried just about
everything out there, and have yet to find anything I like better than
TkDesk. Unfortunately, it's no longer being developed (~2 yrs in stasis,
I think), and in some ways it's slow, plus has some bugs. It's written
in C and Tcl/Tk, and I think it would be far better if were re-done in
Ada and GTK+. :)  (and use Lisp as the extension language, via librep,
rather than Tcl. Or maybe Ruby?)

The real Kon Tiki was pretty slow, so maybe that's not the best
namesake, though it was also virtually unsinkable, which is good. Of
course, now that I think about it, it was later discovered that Kon Tiki
could've safely used a tremendously larger sail than she did, which
would've given much better speed.

> but say it was Open. In Norwegian it is Åpne, so
> you need some system for setting the underscore at the right place, but
> you also need to use the right letter for the signal... If you look at
> the Gtk.Menu it says:
>
>    function Get_Uline_Accel_Group
>         (Menu               : access Gtk_Menu_Record)
>          return Accel_Group.Gtk_Accel_Group;
>
>    Get the accelerator group that is used internally by the menu for
>    underline accelerators while the menu is popped up.

Okay, I think I see the correct approach to take now. Thanks!

Larry