[gtkada] gtkada-config vs. adasockets-config

Emmanuel Briot briot at gnat.com
Tue Mar 13 10:24:23 CET 2001

 > I have a program that uses both GtkAda and Adasockets, and I'm really having
 > trouble getting it to compile and link correctly.
 >
 > When the problem first cropped up I played around with the two config commands,
 > trying various permutations of the ordering both with and without the --cflags
 > and/or --libs options.  I finally got it to work with an entry in my Makefile
 > that looks like this:
 >
 >  gnatmake $(ARGS) $@         \
 >   `adasockets-config` \
 >   `gtkada-config`     \
 >   -cargs $(CARGS) -largs $(LARGS)

There's no apparent reason why
   gnatmake ${ARGS} $@ `adasockets-config --cflags` `gtkada-config --cflags`
     -largs `adasockets-config --libs` `gtkada-config --libs`

wouldn't work.

--cflags gives the arguments for gnatmake, whereas --libs gives the arguments
for the linker, so these can be clearly separated.