[gtkada] Re: gtkada digest, Vol 1 #105 - 4 msgs

Emmanuel Briot briot at gnat.com
Mon Oct 2 12:03:57 CEST 2000

Kevin Knepshield writes:
 > I have been using GtkAda and Glade off and on for a couple of weeks and
 > have been having trouble getting familiar with using the containers and
 > various widgets, and keeping everthing formatted as I wanted.  Did anyone
 > have a link to a tutorial or How-To that I might have missed that discusses
 > this.  I have read the User Guide and looked throught the Reference Manual,
 > but am missing something.  I could (probably) just be slow on this but any
 > direction would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Have a look at the following links that were posted recently by Preben Randhol
on comp.lang.ada:
I am quoting his reply here (thanks Preben :-)

<<
First principle is that when you make GUI with GtkAda (GTK+) you should
not do it the way Delphi projects do. That is put buttons etc in fixed
positions. GTK+ uses horisontal and vertical boxes to pack buttons
etc... so that when you scale your application the layout looks good.

I recommend that you look at these links, even though the examples are
in C it is easy to translate into Ada 95 using GtkAda:

GTK+ / Gnome Application Development by Havoc Pennington :

on packing widgets:

   http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/cha-gtk.html

the whole book can be found here:

   http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/