[gtkada] TestGtk on Win NT 4, SP6

Al Christians achrist at easystreet.com
Thu Nov 30 08:14:33 CET 2000

I ran the binary and it doesn't quite look like it works as it should.

For example, the Gtk Demo / Layout screen looks very ugly.  The scroll
bars work very strangely.  Moving the vertical scroll bar down about
20% or so from the top doesn't do anything, but moving it down much
more puts a distorted checkerboard pattern in the main part of the
screen, like what shows up in the scrolling demo later on.

The Gtk Demo / Packer runs off the bottom of my screen. The buttons
labeled 'Left', 'Right', and 'Bottom' are visible just above the lower
edge of the screen, but their captions don't fit within the buttons
and are badly clipped.

Similarly, I can't see the bottom of the Gtk Demo / Panes screen.

The Gtk Demo / Basic Widgets / List screen has the word 'List' in the
upper left corner, but doesn't show anything that looks like a list.

On the Gtk Demo / Composite Widgets / Ctree screen, there are buttons
that are chopped off in the middle, reading 'Change St', 'Reord', and
'Extend'.  The screen is not scrollable to see what is lost.

Plenty of the other demos work very well.  This looks like much progress
has been made.  But it looks like several of the problems I note above
are because my screen is set to large fonts (800x600).  This is a very
bad problem on Windows, coping with different screen sizes and font
sizes.  Does it work any better on other OS's?  Is it supposed to work
on Windows?

The apps I develop get sent all over the place, and I can't know,
control, or even suggest how my users should have their display settings
set.  I try to cover as many as possible, but it is a perpetual
nuisance.
I prefer to develop with large fonts, so that if my user is using small
fonts (about 85%, I'm guessing), text is shrunk, but not cut off, as it
is if there is a mismatch in the other direction.

I'd be very appreciative if someone can explain how GtkAda will deal
with this, if at all.  It could still be a valuable package in many
instances without handling large fonts, but for my work it is required
to be usable with large or small fonts and screen size from 640x480 up
to 1024x768 under Windows.

TIA for any info.

Al Christians