[gtkada] GtkAda and Gate

Martin Simirenko msimirenko at camtech.net.au
Tue Aug 8 04:42:19 CEST 2000

Hi

As a computer science student taking on a major programming project
(which had to be done in Ada95), I considered using GtkAda and Glade
under Linux to design the GUI for the software.  However, there have
been several problems.

I have the following files installed:
    gnat-3.12p Ada compiler/libraries
    glib-1.2.8
    gtk+-1.2.8
    GtkAda-1.2.8
    glade-0.5.9

After successfully installing and running glade, when trying to export
the Ada code I got the error message:

    Error running gate to generate the Ada95 source code.  Check that
you have gate installed and it it in your PATH.

After checking this (it was in path) I tried to run gate manually:

> gate project1.glade

This however caused the error: gate-in.exe: command not found.

Searching my system - but to no avail - I could not find gate-in.exe.  I
then downloaded the file "GtkAda-devel-1.2.2" which contained the
gate-in.exe file, and a few other libraries etc.  However this rpm could
not be installed properly, so I simply grabbed the gate-in.exe file out
and put it into place.  Now gate gave this error:

    gate-in.exe: error in loading shared lib's: libgnat-3.11p.so.1
.....No such file

As I have been using the Gnat 3.12 compiler, i figured that gate must
need the 3.11 lib's, so I downloaded these (gnat-3.11p).  These are now
installed fine, but when running gate i now get

    "Internal Error: please send bug report to......"

This occurs with all files created with glade.  Could you possibly reply
with any suggestions, as I REALLY want to overcome this problem and
start creating some GUI's!

cheers from Martin Simirenko
msimirenko at camtech.net.au
mcsimire at cs.adelaide.edu.au