[gps-users] Building GPS from CVS

Robert Love rblove at airmail.net
Thu May 26 15:06:41 CEST 2005

On May 26, 2005, at 3:06 AM, Nicolas Setton wrote:

> Hello Robert,
>

>> Since I couldn't find a daily snapshot I wanted to try and build
>> GPS from source.  I obtained the source from CVS on my Fedora 3
>> linux box and attempted to build.  I have GtkAda 2.4.0 in /usr/
>> local and I set the prefix for gps configure to /usr/gnat
>>
>> When I run the make command I get several failures.  I'm don't
>> understand one piece of the INSTALL file that says to create a
>> link called "gnat_src" and point it to something like "gcc/gcc/
>> ada"  As far as I can tell using locate, I don't have any such
>> directory.  What should I actually point this link to?  If I knew
>> the name of an actual file then I could search for it.
>>
>> All help appreciated.
>>

> This is the directory of the sources for the GNAT compiler that you
> are using.

The instructions are vague.  The actual wording is "...,e.g. gcc/gcc/
ada".  That tells me people writing the instructions don't know where
the source files are on my system.  That is reasonable.  But I don't
know where things got installed either.  I know I used the /usr/gnat/
prefix.  If I knew the actual name of a file in the directory, then I
could find the directory.

What I was asking for was the name of a source file needed so I could
search effectively.  Does anybody know what source file is needed?

> You should be able to obtain those sources at the place where you
> obtained the compiler (the power of the GPL ;-))
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nico
>
> PS: for questions about building and contributing to GPS, I suggest
> using the mailing list gps-devel instead.

Thanks for that pointer.  In the future I will subscribe to it.