[gps-users] gps(1)'s use of pseudo-ttys

Ludovic Brenta ludovic.brenta at insalien.org
Tue May 10 15:42:24 CEST 2005

 writes:
> Arnaud Charlet" wrote:
>> This issue has been resolved in CVS some time ago already and in the
>> future 3.0 release.
>>
>> If you're a GAP user, watch for the next GAP release.
>>
>>> Is there
>>> some good reason why gps doesn't just fork/exec and front-end gdb?
>>
>> "just" ? and communicate with gdb how ? If the answer is "pipes", then
>> pipes are not powerful enough to interact with gdb properly in some cases.
>>
>> Arno
>
> Yes, I meant - and should have written - "fork/exec/pipe". Thanks for the
> answer, Arno.
>
> John A. Murdie

I note that GPS has been changed in this department since the last
academic release; now it uses /dev/ptmx if available.  You may want to
build GPS from the latest sources and see if it solves your security
concerns.

The GPS 2.1.0 on Debian does not exhibit the behaviour you described
however.  It still uses /dev/ptyz0 et al, though.

--
Ludovic Brenta.