RV: [gps-users] New to GPS.

Claudio Grasso C_GRASSO at crm.com.ar
Wed Jun 2 15:51:43 CEST 2004

Thanks for your answer. Sorry for having sent so few (almost none) details.

What I have tried to do is to edit a file in a Unix (SunOS 5.8) machine from
GPS executing in a W2K one. I tried both telnet and FTP protocols.

I used the commands:

edit telnet://c_grasso@bahq31/export/home/c_grasso/test.c

where c_grasso is my user and bahq31 is the name of the host

The file does exist:
[c_grasso at bahq31 c_grasso]$ ls /export/home/c_grasso/test.c
/export/home/c_grasso/test.c

The name of the remote node can be resolved by Windows and the node is
reachable:

c:\>ping bahq31

Pinging bahq31.crm.com.ar [10.0.28.44] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.28.44: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.0.28.44: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.0.28.44: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.0.28.44: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=254

Ping statistics for 10.0.28.44:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum =  0ms, Average =  0ms

When I execute the command, instead of opening the actual file, GPS opens an
empty editor window that has in the title bar
telnet://c_grasso@bahq31/export/home/c_grasso/test.c

In the Messages windows I see no new message.

When I try ftp, the behavior is different:

After a few seconds an error popup appears saying: "Timeout when connection
to Bahq31".

I also tried with a VMS remote host but with the same results.

Thanks again for your help. Best regards,

		Claudio