[gps-users] More on /dev/pty and Fedora Core 3

Bobby D. Bryant bdbryant at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Dec 25 23:43:30 CET 2004

On 12/25/04 16:18:19, Robert Love wrote:

> I've spent some time trying to get GPS to run debug sessions under
> Fedora Core 3.  The problem seems to be related to the lack of pseudo
> terminals (pty).  There are none in this linux distribution and as
> far as I can tell, I have a valid installation.

FYI, I get an almost identical problem on a very up-to-date Gentoo
Linux system, except the pty ID is different, and it actually exists,
but its default permissions do not allow whatever the debugger is
trying to do:

	(gdb) run input.txt
	/dev/ptyz0: Permission denied.

	Program exited with code 01.
	You can't do that without a process to debug.

My /dev/ptyz0 is a symbolic link to /dev/pty/m160, permissions
crw-------.

I suspect I can change the permissions to get around the problem, but I
don't know what the implications of the permissions on these devices
are.

Also, in case it's relevant, I'm using the new 'udev' device managment
system:

	root> ps x
	2256 ?        S<s    0:00 udevd
	2449 ?        Ss     0:00 /sbin/devfsd /dev

Maybe this second view will help triangulate on the problem...

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas