[gps-users] More on /dev/pty and Fedora Core 3

Robert Love rblove at airmail.net
Sat Dec 25 23:18:19 CET 2004

I've spent some time trying to get GPS to run debug sessions under
Fedora Core 3.  The problem seems to be related to the lack of pseudo
terminals (pty).  There are none in this linux distribution and as far
as I can tell, I have a valid installation.

One thing I find is a file called "devices.txt" that describes the
standards they are following.  I see this bit of text in there:

		These are the old-style (BSD) PTY devices; Unix98
		devices are on major 128 and above and use the PTY
		master multiplex (/dev/ptmx) to acquire a PTY on
		demand.

This is just after the description of the naming of Pseudo-TTY masters.
  Are they saying that /dev/ptypd, for example, is an obsolete concept?
That newer Unices will somehow generate them on the fly?

I do have a /dev/ptmx file already.

I find it funny that GPS is the only app I can't run due to this
problem.  All my editors, browsers, file navigators, CVS front ends,
etc don't seem to need them.

One list member, Martin Krischik, was kind enough to mail me some hints
on creating ptys.  When GPS tells me it can't proceed because there is
no /dev/ptypd, I create one.  I'm then told that GPS needs /dev/ptypa.
I create it and am told that GPS needs /dev/ptyp7

So far I've created:

/dev/ptyp{d,a,7,4,1}
/dev/ptyq{e,b,8,5,2}
/dev/ptyr{f,c,9,6,3,0}
/dev/ptys{d,a,7,4,1}
/dev/ptyt{e,b,8,5,2}
/dev/ptyu{f,c,9,6,3.0}
/dev/ptyw{e,b,8,5,2}
/dev/ptyx{f,c,9,6,3,0}

at this point I gave up.  Either I'm not creating them correctly or GPS
is using way too many ptys.  Can I get a list of exactly what pseudo
ttys that GPS is expecting?

I've tried asking general questions on missing ptys on various Fedora
forums and mailing list but haven't gotten any replies.

Are there any other FC 3 users on this mailing list?