[gps-users] Repeating the Question

Robert Love rblove at airmail.net
Mon Dec 20 20:58:36 CET 2004

On Dec 20, 2004, at 11:43 AM, Martin Krischik wrote:

> Am Montag, 20. Dezember 2004 16:44 schrieb Robert Love:
>> Let me try again.  Is anybody running GPS under Fedora Core 3?  I
>> upgraded to this and lost the ability to debug under GPS.  The error
>> seems to be described as
>>
>>     /dev/ptypd:  No such file or directory
>>
>> and indeed there is no file in the /dev directory.
>
> The /dev directory should be full of files! It is inlikely that you
> can boot
> if the /dev directroy is empty.

I didn't mean to say that there were no files in /dev, just nothing
that starts /dev/pty*

>> Can I configure gps to use another device?
>
> I have got one:
>
> la  /dev/ptypd
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     tty        2,  13 2003-09-23 19:59 /dev/ptypd
>
> And this should give you one as well:
>
> mknod /dev/ptypd c 2 13
> chown root:tty /dev/ptypd
> chmod a=rw  /dev/ptypd
>
> Hope it helps

Well, its a start, now when I try to run the debugger I get

/dev/ptypa:  No such file or directory

How many of these bloody pty things are there supposed to be?

I looked on FedoraFAQ.org and FedoraForum.org but found nothing on
ptypd.  What is the generic name of the thing that is missing?  I'll
try searching by that.

Thanks.