[gps-users] be careful when installing...

Jerry van Dijk jvandyk@attglobal.net
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 02:22:21 +0200

 > > > My very first tries do not seem to be very successful with this...
 > > > Compilation with GCC 3.2 does not seem to go very well (lots of errors
 > > > concerning gpr files...)
 > >
 > > I got errors relating to project files when going through the gps
 > > tutorial.  Gcc 3.2 was on the path and it's ada enabled.  It doesn't
 > > seem to like the project files very much, but sourcing the path for gnat
 > > 3.15p fixed it (I use gnat 3.15p for everything, I just forgot to source
 > > it in my eagerness to try it out).
 > >
 > but if you want to make it a rpm for mdk9.1, you should then use the gtk
 > release delivered with it... so compile gtkada with mdk's gcc, and then
 > compile gps with mdk's gcc. It seems that we will have to wait until the
 > 3.x branch of gcc becomes gpr aware..

No, this seems confused to me. I use gcc 3.2 (non-ada) to compile the C files
as this is the compiler used by Mandrake for GTK, but GNAT 3.15p compiling
Ada. So far this works.

If I were to package up RPM's they would minimally include source & binaries
for:

1. GNAT 3.15p
2. GTKADA
3. GPS

And as possibly also

4. GLADE (the GNAT one)
5. ASIS
6. FLORIST

Note that I have patched my gnat 3.15 to use gnatgcc instead of gcc to
prevent confusion (and gnatgdb instead of gdb...)

Such RPMs would also create menu items (hmmm, needs an icon) and setup
file extensions. I guess I need to read up on mdk standards a bit :-)

Another nice one is where to install. I now have everthing under /usr/gnat
as I noticed Sun put Java under /usr/java...

--
--  Jerry van Dijk   | email: jvandyk@attglobal.net
--  Leiden, Holland  | web:   users.ncrvnet.nl/gmvdijk