[gps-users] Problem starting ACT's binary of GPS 1.4.0 on Debian GNU/Linux

Ludovic Brenta ludovic.brenta@insalien.org
04 Dec 2003 19:59:59 +0100

Hi

I am having a problem starting GPS from the binary distributed at
ACT's libre web site.  I've compiled and installed GtkAda 2.2.1.  I've
compiled and linked GPS against it, and it runs OK.  But the GPS
compiled by ACT fails to start.  Here is what I get:

$ cd ~/tmp
$ tar xzf ~/incoming/gps-1.4.0-academic-x86-linux.tgz
$ cd ~/tmp/gps-1.4.0-academic-x86-linux
$ bin/gps
./bin/gps_exe: relocation error: ./bin/gps_exe: undefined symbol: gdk__event__gdk_notify_typeN

Note that the executable file finds the library all right:

$ ldd bin/gps_exe
        libgtkada-2.2.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgtkada-2.2.so.1 (0x40023000)
        libgnat-3.15p.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgnat-3.15p.so.1 (0x4084c000)
        [other libraries omitted]

The GtkAda shared library doesn't have the debugging symbols, but the
static library (in the `libgtkada2-dev' package I made) does:

$ nm /usr/lib/libgtkada2.a | grep gdk_notify_type
000000ad D gdk__event__gdk_notify_typeI
000002f4 R gdk__event__gdk_notify_typeS

I have not been able to find a binary distribution of GtkAda 2.2.1 for
GNU/Linux to compare these results with.  Is this a problem of name
mangling?  Does it occur on other distributions?  Is there something
wrong with my package of GtkAda?  I would like it to be compatible
with binaries compiled by other people, possibly on different
distributions, and I am prepared to make any changes necessary to that
effect.

--
Ludovic Brenta.