[gps-devel] bug report / improvement suggestion: GPS cannot open project file with invalid paths

Emmanuel Briot briot at adacore.com
Thu Mar 23 15:46:18 CET 2017

> When opening a .gpr file with invalid paths e.g.:
>
>   project WDM_Stub_App extends "<nonexistent path>" is
>
>   for Source_Dirs use ("<nonexistent path>");
>
> it simple says that it couldn't load the project.

Silvao,

I think there might be a deeper error here. Just having an invalid directory (or non-existing
directory) results in a clean error message that points you to the exact line in the .gpr file.

Can you send us the GPS log file ?
It will be the most recent ~/.gps/log* file
I would expect to see mention of some unexpected internal error there.

As you say,  the code you mention would be way too general and unhelpful for all possible
errors in projects, so GPS of course tries to do better. Seems like there is something else
in play here.

regards
Emmanuel