[gps-devel] Enhancement

Emmanuel Briot briot at adacore.com
Tue Jun 2 09:13:06 CEST 2015

Hello Christian,

> Maybe My issue report here is already covered, OTOH Isaw something nobody has recognized because everyone is so involved already ;-) I hope I am on the right discussion list (devel) for that - if not, please just tell me and direct me to the right place.

Yes, this list is a good media to discuss enhancements suggestions.

> * No hover text above tool buttons
> At the toolbar icons, espacially the "build" etc. ones, there are no hovertips, so for a newcomer it is hard to distinguish between the build icons. It would be helpful to add those here.

I definitely see tooltips in all toolbar buttons and menus (and I think they were already there in 6.0.1, so
it is surprising if you do not see them). Perhaps there are global settings on your linux machine, for gtk+
or gnome, that disable tooltips ?

> * Can't delete/rename file in project manager?
> On the left side in the project tree, it is not possible to delete  a file within GPS, or rename it? I found no context menu item, "Del" key does not work. Is there a cause for that? Is that by design?

In the Project view, we have a "File Operations" contextual menu with "rename" and "delete" entries.
These are provided by a plug-in, which has been activated by default now.

> * "Open file" dialog shows hidden files
> When you try to open a file (File > Open...), the dialog has the flag switched ON to show hidden files under Linux (.*). This is disturbing as there are MANY .foo directories in $HOME under Linux - To find the relevant ones is harder when these files are shown.

Indeed, it might make sense to hide those by default.

> * Shortcut editor has no search function
> When editing key shortcuts, (Edit > Key Shortcuts...), If I want to find anything in the long list of shortcuts, I have to scroll through it and read every item. There should be a simple search input line (at the top, next to the checkboxes) where I can enter e.g. "next" and it filters every shortcut that contains "next" in the description. I'ts nearly impossible to find anything the current way.

It now has one in the upcoming version of GPS (it was full revised for 6.1.0)

Thanks for the suggestions, all good, and almost all already implemented :-)

Emmanuel