[gps-devel] Enhancement

Christian González christian.gonzalez at medworx.at
Tue Jun 2 09:07:09 CEST 2015

Hello, I'm new to Ada, GNAT/GPS and everything here.

Maybe My issue report here is already covered, OTOH Isaw something nobody has recognized because everyone is so involved already ;-) I hope I am on the right discussion list (devel) for that - if not, please just tell me and direct me to the right place.

I think there are a few usabilit issues in GPS (GPL Edition, using v6.0.1 (20140113) on Linux/x64):

* No hover text above tool buttons
At the toolbar icons, espacially the "build" etc. ones, there are no hovertips, so for a newcomer it is hard to distinguish between the build icons. It would be helpful to add those here.

* Can't delete/rename file in project manager?
On the left side in the project tree, it is not possible to delete  a file within GPS, or rename it? I found no context menu item, "Del" key does not work. Is there a cause for that? Is that by design?

* "Open file" dialog shows hidden files
When you try to open a file (File > Open...), the dialog has the flag switched ON to show hidden files under Linux (.*). This is disturbing as there are MANY .foo directories in $HOME under Linux - To find the relevant ones is harder when these files are shown.

* Shortcut editor has no search function
When editing key shortcuts, (Edit > Key Shortcuts...), If I want to find anything in the long list of shortcuts, I have to scroll through it and read every item. There should be a simple search input line (at the top, next to the checkboxes) where I can enter e.g. "next" and it filters every shortcut that contains "next" in the description. I'ts nearly impossible to find anything the current way.

Thanks,
Christian

--
Dr. Christian González