[gps-devel] Building on Fedora 8

R. B. Love rblove_lists at comcast.net
Mon Mar 3 00:57:15 CET 2008

Arnaud Charlet wrote:
>> Thank you.  It is not clear at all to me that those two source
>> directories are different.
>>

> Well, in case of doubt, you should follow the instructions from the
> INSTALL file to the letter.
>

>> When I read link to sources, I looked on my
>> system to find sources and it seemed to have the right files.
>>

> As you can see, this is not the case, most sources are missing.
>

>> What could be wrong with the version of Glib?  What version of Glib is
>> expected?
>>

> Again, you haven't followed the instructions from the INSTALL file apparently:
> <<
> - You need to use the SVN version of GtkAda matching GPS sources (same date/tag)
>

> and are using some other version of GtkAda instead it seems.
>
> Arno

Yes, I've tried to build gtkada several times and failed so I grabbed an
RPM version.  I have removed that version and am trying to build from
scratch but I don't understand what the config script is having trouble
with:

checking for GTK - version >= 2.2.0... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed.

but as far as I know, I've never touched the gtk+ installation on this
system:
rlove at falcon> rpm -q
gtk2
[/home/rlove]
gtk2-2.12.5-1.fc8
gtk2-2.12.5-1.fc8
rlove at falcon> rpm -q gtk2-devel
gtk2-devel-2.12.5-1.fc8
gtk2-devel-2.12.5-1.fc8
rlove at falcon>

I certainly seem to have GTK+2 installed and a version > 2.2.0 installed.

The contents of config.log say:

configure:2985: checking for GTK - version >= 2.2.0
configure:3072: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0
-I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0
-I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/cairo     conftest.c
-L/usr/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0
-lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl
-lglib-2.0   >&5
configure: In function 'main':
configure:3034: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'exit'
/usr/gnat/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.3/ld: cannot find -lcairo

rlove at falcon> locate libcairo
/usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
/usr/lib/libcairo.so.2.11.7
/usr/lib64/libcairo.so