[GAP] CrossTalk CS Education article

Jérôme Hugues hugues at infres.enst.fr
Sat Jan 5 14:37:07 CET 2008

Le 4 janv. 08 à 17:32, Jean-Pierre Rosen a écrit :

> I must add that things are not better on this side of the water. In my
> training sessions, I have an exercise about pointers: build a simple
> linked list. I spend a huge time explaining people how to add an
> element
> in front of the list.

regarding pointers, use this video ;)

http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/104/

> Another devastating effect of Java is that people ignore totally the
> issue of memory management. And when I mention that garbage collection
> does not prevent memory leaks if you don't set pointers to null, it
> seems that nobody ever told them.

.. and in one lab session I organize on JMS (Java Message Oriented
Middleware),
some of my students did not understand why the server object
they instantiated was destroyed when the program exited the scope
where the object was declared

it was during a course on middleware and distibution, not a beginner
course on programming ..

--
Jérôme Hugues, ENST Paris
http://www.enst.fr/~hugues