[GAP] CrossTalk CS Education article

Jean-Pierre Rosen rosen at adalog.fr
Fri Jan 4 17:32:46 CET 2008

Edmond Schonberg a écrit :
> (Should we launch the slogan: Ada programmers have a better sense of
> humor?)

Oh, no! I often claim that with Ada, you replace the pleasure of playing
with the pleasure of having a work well done...

I must add that things are not better on this side of the water. In my
training sessions, I have an exercise about pointers: build a simple
linked list. I spend a huge time explaining people how to add an element
in front of the list.

And when I mention in my course that something should be avoided because
it would go O(n2), most of the attendance looks at me with big eyes...

Another devastating effect of Java is that people ignore totally the
issue of memory management. And when I mention that garbage collection
does not prevent memory leaks if you don't set pointers to null, it
seems that nobody ever told them.