[GAP] Regarding Cyril's Reply to My Rant

Riehle, Richard (CIV) rdriehle at nps.edu
Thu Nov 8 22:51:12 CET 2007

Ted,

Thanks.  Martin informs me that Ada is on the way out at the
USAF Academy.

I wonder whether anyone has some good ideas about how to get Ada
back into the curriculum.   Most of our computer science department
colleagues seem to be opposed to including it.

I just had lunch with a representative of a major DoD contractor who
said that they are continuing to move away from Ada toward Java and
C++.   He was genuinely suprised to learn that anyone was starting
new projects in Ada.

It is important that we find some strategy for keeping Ada in the
curriculum at our universities.   The professors need to understand
its importance as a software engineering tool, and persuade students
to appreciate its value as a powerful language for building reliable
software systems.

My question is still open.   What schools are still teaching Ada? Do
those schools intend to continue teaching Ada?   Is the inclusion of
Ada the passion of a single professor against the rest of the computer
science department, or is it a deparment-wide decision?   In the case
of Ted Baker and myself, a little bit of Ada is still being taught due
to the work of one person.

Richard Riehle