[GAP] Regarding Cyril's Reply to My Rant

Ted Baker baker at cs.fsu.edu
Thu Nov 8 22:23:20 CET 2007

Question:

> "I wonder whether any other educational institutions are still teaching
> Ada."

Partial Answer.

Here at FSU we have no regular course in Ada.  However, I've
managed to push Ada into our Programming Languages class the last
two times I taught it (this year and 2005), but I only succeed at
the expense of a few more negative student surveys at the end of
the term (e.g., "Why don't we learn a language that is widely
used, like [fill in the blank with Java, Perl, C#, etc.]?", "Ada
is too much to learn in a few weeks.)  I feel pretty sure I could
raise my teaching evaluation a notch or two if I gave up on this
and followed the trend, and maybe replaced Ada in the course by
one of the scripting languages, say Ruby or Python.  I just
persist out of some kind of stubbornness.

It is true that we don't have much time to learn Ada.  For a
project this term, the students are translating a tiny Prolog
intepreter from Scheme into Ada.  In the same
term, they learn enough Scheme and Prolog to do a little
programming, as well as basic parsing (LL(1) & recursive decent)
and translation (attributed grammars), and also basic proofs using
precondition-postcondition semantics.  I gave them a bunch of
Ada code to get started, including a package that implements
LISP list structures (controlled, with reference counts), to
save time, but it still quite a stretch.  There is certainly
no time for multi-tasking or for the niceties of generics,
class hierarchies, streams, etc.

--Ted