[GAP] E701-009: New contribution (Teaching Ada by Examples)

Javier Miranda miranda at adacore.com
Wed Sep 14 19:04:36 CEST 2005

Dear GAP Member,

   I am glad to announce a new contribution submitted by Ted Baker.
Here you have copy of its description (this is now also available
in the "Teaching Materials" section of our GAP Contributions Page).

Waiting for your contribution,

--- Javier Miranda

Teaching Ada by Examples
------------------------

Prof. Ted Baker teaches Ada as one of the parts of a general
programming languages course. He found that running through a
catalog of Ada features in class would take too much time, so he
 decided to try teaching Ada by examples, introducing various Ada
language features in the examples that he uses for illustration of
language implementation concepts (so far, mainly scanning and
recursive descent parsing). For example he uses exception handling
for error recovery, and explains how Ada does it as he walks through
the code of the parser. In addition he starts with fully qualified
names, and then introduce renaming declarations in the examples to
shorten the code to fit better on the web pages.

This web server provides his collection of examples but also some
introductory material to the Ada language (documents originally
writen by Robert Dewar and Ed Schonberg and slightly extended by
Ted Baker).

  Author: Ted Baker
    http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/ada/