[GAP] E701-009 - New contribution ("Ada Distilled" book)

Riehle, Richard USA rdriehle at nps.edu
Wed Nov 16 23:35:51 CET 2005

Hi,

This is Richard Riehle.

The current version of Ada Distilled focuses on
Ada 95, the current ISO standard.  I have heard
from people from everywhere on planet Earth (not
yet from anyone in outer space) regarding this
booklet for starting a study of Ada.  Most of the
comments are good.  In the early versions of the
book, I had a lot of criticism and I hope that most
of those criticisms are resolved with the current
edition.

>From some of those far-away places, I have been led
to believe that the book has been or is in the process
of being translated.   I think an Arabic version is
in process.  I have been contacted from Tehran about
using the book for an Ada class in Iran.  I had to
decline that invitation. I forwarded them information
about Jean Pierre Rosen, but never heard whether they
got in touch with him to do the training.  I have also
heard from other Middle Eastern users (e.g. Oman, Tunisia,
and Israel).   Also, some Asian professors are using it
for one thing or another.   I never get information about
how serious they are about Ada, but those who contact me
seem to like it.

I share the above information with you to illustrate that
there is more interest, even if cursory interest, in Ada
worldwide than we sometimes think.  The GNAT people are
probably already aware of this.  I only know of it through
the email I get regarding my book.

There are two files:  1) the book, 2) a zip file of
programs from the book.  Every program has been compiled
with GNAT (3.15) and executed.   Some of the programs
are contrived to illustrate a point.   Others are representative
of what one might do with a real project.

I took special care with two sections that give people
trouble:  1) generics, 2) access types.   There is an
example of a fully-coded generic formal package parameter
derived from the Ada 95 Rationale.   There are examples
of general access types that seem to have helped some
students understand the issues a little better.

Finally, the email address, richard at adaworks.com, has been
discontinued.  If you need to contact me, please use my
Naval Postgraduate School email, rdriehle at nps.edu.

Thanks for your interest,

Richard Riehle