[GAP] RE: JEWL

Carlisle Martin C Dr USAFA/DFCS Martin.Carlisle at USAFA.af.mil
Thu Apr 28 23:20:02 CEST 2005

I considered the comment so non-outrageous that it wasn't worth comment
:-).  We don't use JEWL, but instead use Adagraph to create video game
type things, and then RAPID for user interfaces.

--Martin

//SIGNED//
Dr. Martin C. Carlisle
Associate Professor and Advisor-in-Charge
Department of Computer Science
United States Air Force Academy

-----Original Message-----
From: gap-bounces at gnat.info [mailto:gap-bounces at gnat.info] On Behalf Of
Riehle, Richard USA
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:49 PM
To: GNAT Academic Program discussion list
Subject: [GAP] RE: JEWL

In an earlier message, as part of a discussion regarding approaches to
teaching Ada, I mentioned that I find that my students enjoy writing
Windows programs using JEWL.

Was that comment so outrageous that no one felt it was
worth comment?   Does no one else consider the concept
of "fun" important when teaching and learning a programming language?

For many years, when I was teaching Ada to industry, we did not have
tools for making it "fun."  This was especially true
of Ada 83.

What do other instructors do to make learning Ada "fun?"  At present, I
am also teaching a C++ unit.  That is clearly not as much fun for the
students as learning Java.  When we begin the Ada unit of this course in
two weeks, I want them to like
it better than either Java or C++.

Richard Riehle