[GAP] RE: JEWL

Riehle, Richard USA rdriehle at nps.edu
Thu Apr 28 22:49:25 CEST 2005

In an earlier message, as part of a discussion regarding
approaches to teaching Ada, I mentioned that I find that
my students enjoy writing Windows programs using JEWL.

Was that comment so outrageous that no one felt it was
worth comment?   Does no one else consider the concept
of "fun" important when teaching and learning a programming
language?

For many years, when I was teaching Ada to industry, we did
not have tools for making it "fun."  This was especially true
of Ada 83.

What do other instructors do to make learning Ada "fun?"  At
present, I am also teaching a C++ unit.  That is clearly not
as much fun for the students as learning Java.  When we begin
the Ada unit of this course in two weeks, I want them to like
it better than either Java or C++.

Richard Riehle