[Fwd: Re: [GAP] Internships for Ada Students]

Louise Arkwright arkwright at act-europe.fr
Thu Sep 30 11:46:51 CEST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [GAP] Internships for Ada Students
Date: 	Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:19:30 +0200
From: 	Tullio Vardanega <tullio.vardanega at math.unipd.it>
To: 	Louise Arkwright <arkwright at act-europe.fr>

> [...]
> In  order to address this issue at the root, perhaps it would be
> helpful to exchange info on student internships:
>
>   - are your students looking for internships ?

Yes. The one that matters is  6 months in duration at the end
of the 5th year.

>   - how easily do they secure an internship ?

Very easily for the 3-month one, at the end of the 3rd year,
within geographically-close organisations (Padua, Italy).
We have been reluctant so far to try with remote organisations,
because our internship scheme provides for *no* financial
support to the student (that's "creative" Italy, you know :-(

Still to be determine for the 6-month scheme, which is just
in the early roll-out phase.

>   - how far afield are students prepared to move to undertake an
> internship?

Most of them are most willing to go as far afield as it takes
if the opportunity is attractive.

>   - within what type of industry are internships found/offered?

The territory around us (Padua, Italy) is rich with small
companies that operate on business and process management
services, but scarcely doted with advanced software technology
in other areas.

>   - would it be helpful if  the Ada Academic Initiative were to assist
> by awarding competition winners in-house internships at AdaCore and
> with some of our customers?

Yes, it would very much in my opinion.
One of the things we discussed at the GAP kick-off meeting was
the possibility of "networking" the offers and openings available.
Just starting this would be great news.

-- Tullio