[AWS] AWS logs a 200 when it's actually sending a 304. Bug or intentional?

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 16:38:02 CET 2011

Hey all,

When accessing static content I'm experiencing a mismatch between what
is logged and the headers that are sent.

For example when accessing a file called test.png. This is what I see
in the AWS access log:

    "GET /images/test.png HTTP/1.1" 200 0

And this is what is actually send in the HTTP header:

    HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified

The header is correct, the log data is not.

If I access the server through a proxy (Apache in this case), Apache
logs the access like this:

    "GET /images/test.png HTTP/1.1" 304 -

But AWS still does

    "GET /images/test.png HTTP/1.1" 200 0

I don't know if this is a bug, or by design, but shouldn't AWS behave
like Apache and log a 304, when it is actually sending a 304 header?

Or must I check the If-Modified-Since header and set the 304 message
manually in my call to AWS.Response.File?

Regards,
Thomas Løcke