[AWS] AWS fails to install on Debian 6.0

Brett dragoncity at aanet.com.au
Mon Dec 12 12:50:00 CET 2011

To save time reading this -- I dropped Adacore/AWS and reinstalled
the standard Debian ( outdated) versions of the repository.

A detailed description is below :-)

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 10:06:53 +0100
Pascal Obry <pascal at obry.net> wrote:

> Le 10/12/2011 02:35, Brett a écrit :
> > I don't know ! I just installed Ada & AWS packages and assumed
> > "they'd" know what tools to use.

> >> Probably because of the problem above?
> >>
> >> What is the output for:
> >>
> >>    $ gnatls -v
> >

> > ===============
> > brett at debian:~$ gnatls -v
> >
> > GNATLS 4.4.5
> > Copyright (C) 1997-2008, Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> As you see that's not that simple. Here you have the FSF compiler but
> you (reading your message) expect to build with GNAT GPL 2011. The
> GCC/GNAT 4.4 at the FSF is probably too old to build AWS. And I can't
> even bet which compiler you were using as root!
>
> So make sure GNAT GPL 2011 come first into the PATH.

I made sure the PATH was as you suggest, however things went downhill
from there!

I re-installed a clean Debian 6.0 and apart from a few utilities like IceWeasel & Claws_Mail
I tried to install Ada ( ver 5 ) & AWS from the downloaded AdaCore
Package and not Debian's repositories or the DVD set I have.

However, I think there might be some problems with the AdaCore down
loaded package(s).

Initially Ada/GPS version 5 seemed OK, but "sometimes" the GPS linker
requested non existent files from a previous Ada version!

This is prior to installing AWS off the AdaCore download package.

When I tried to install AWS while in 'user' ( not root) I found that
the some extracted files exhibited 'odd' owner/group values eg : owner
4168 group 1100 and the Gnat linker failed to load certain files.

So I deleted every Ada/GPS/AWS related file and reinstalled using the standard Ada/GPS Debian
repository files, AND libaws2.7 & libaws2.7-dev

eg: I now have this version of GNAT
GNATLS 4.4.5
Copyright (C) 1997-2008, Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Source Search Path:
   <Current_Directory>
   /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.4/adainclude/

Object Search Path:
   <Current_Directory>
   /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.4/adalib/

Project Search Path:
   <Current_Directory>
   /usr/share/ada/adainclude/

Which I realize is a few years out of date :-), but it has one very useful feature - it works!
I then installed LIBAWS from the Debian 6.0 AMD64 release.

root at debian:/home/brett# apt-get install libaws2.7-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libasis2008 libaws-bin libaws-doc libldap2-dev libtemplates-parser-doc libtemplates-parser11.5-dev libxmlada-doc libxmlada3.2-dev zlib1g-dev
Suggested packages:
  libaws-dbg libjs-prototype
  libasis2008 libaws-bin libaws-doc libaws2.7-dev libldap2-dev libtemplates-parser-doc libtemplates-parser11.5-dev libxmlada-doc libxmlada3.2-dev
  zlib1g-dev
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/12.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 53.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Selecting previously deselected package libasis2008.
(Reading database ... 93291 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libasis2008 (from .../libasis2008_2008-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libaws-bin.
Unpacking libaws-bin (from .../libaws-bin_2.7-4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libaws-doc.
Unpacking libaws-doc (from .../libaws-doc_2.7-4_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libldap2-dev.
Unpacking libldap2-dev (from .../libldap2-dev_2.4.23-7.2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libtemplates-parser11.5-dev.
Unpacking libtemplates-parser11.5-dev (from .../libtemplates-parser11.5-dev_11.5-4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxmlada3.2-dev.
Unpacking libxmlada3.2-dev (from .../libxmlada3.2-dev_3.2-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package zlib1g-dev.
Unpacking zlib1g-dev (from .../zlib1g-dev_1%3a1.2.3.4.dfsg-3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libaws2.7-dev.
Unpacking libaws2.7-dev (from .../libaws2.7-dev_2.7-4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libtemplates-parser-doc.
Unpacking libtemplates-parser-doc (from .../libtemplates-parser-doc_11.5-4_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxmlada-doc.
Unpacking libxmlada-doc (from .../libxmlada-doc_3.2-5_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for install-info ...
Setting up libasis2008 (2008-5) ...
Setting up libaws-bin (2.7-4) ...
Setting up libaws-doc (2.7-4) ...
Setting up libldap2-dev (2.4.23-7.2) ...
Setting up libtemplates-parser11.5-dev (11.5-4) ...
Setting up libxmlada3.2-dev (3.2-5) ...
Setting up zlib1g-dev (1:1.2.3.4.dfsg-3) ...
Setting up libaws2.7-dev (2.7-4) ...
Setting up libtemplates-parser-doc (11.5-4) ...
Setting up libxmlada-doc (3.2-5) ...
root at debian:/home/brett#

Unfortunately I did not copy the output from
$apt-get install libaws2.7, but the results are shown below.

brett at debian:~$ dpkg -L libaws2.7
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libaws.so.2.7
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libaws2.7
/usr/share/doc/libaws2.7/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libaws2.7/changelog.Debian.gz
brett at debian:~$

Now I have a working ADA/GPS & AWS system, not the latest version I was after  :-) ,
 but at least a working version.

Failures
========

I'm really not sure why the AdaCore AWS version install failed, but it would appear to be a combination
of:

-- a AMD64 Debian base ?,
-- left over files from failed installs,
-- my uncertainty of what was wrong, or do, when install scripts issued
error messages, -- and possibility not a very good install procedure.

I think the install procedures need a re-write, certainly all I could find was information on doing the usual
make setup / build / install procedures, and it was only via Ludovic Brenta's posting here that I discovered
that indeed a pre-compiled libaws & -dev file set existed for apt-get installation !
I had assumed that I HAD to attempt the traditional make route :-)

Aborting AdaCore version.
=========================
When I started getting a variety of error messages depending upon if I was installing in as a user or root,
the situation of the install procedures not having enough permission to access required files,
or indeed files appeared to be missing anyway arose,
files having strange ( to me) ownership, etc, and asking me to hand edit install scripts to set various parameters.
I assume these scripts work on some O/S's but did not under my Debian 6.0 AMD64, rather than direct editing perhaps
a simple question/answer script might have been better. I had to rerun make a number of times, re edit, to finally
flush out the parameter setting 'errors'.
I decided that I had to revert to the Debian release version to get on with installing my user programs.

In summary:
===========

to get a working Ada/GPS/AWS setup:

login as root ( use 'su' command ):
1) install gnat-gps from your O/s's  repository using 'apt-get install
gnat-gps'

2) install libaws2.7  ( or what ever version your O/S
offers ) using apt-get

3) install libaws2.7-dev  using apt-get, should
be same version as libaws.

as user:
4) add a icon to your desktop and set its properties command to /usr/bin/gnat-gps ( your O/S might be different)

> Please, would be nice to keep the AWS mailing-list copied, others may
> give help too.

Quite right ! My mistake.

> Pascal.

Cheers,