[AWS] Having more then 1000 concurrent connections?

Maciej Sobczak prog at msobczak.com
Thu Aug 25 22:11:31 CEST 2011

On 25/08/2011 00:21, Marius Amado-Alves wrote:
>>> In my humble opinion the number of CPU cores is a concern of the
>>> operating system only. (Marius)
>
>> Well, that is oversimplified. (Maciej)
>
> Maybe, but that's how it should be. Separation of concerns.

I'm not sure. We are *engineers* and we are supposed to be concerned
with the physicality of all the bricks that we are using.

> Possible
> in an ideal world with a no nonsense operating system with a means to
> allot a percentage of CPU time to each program.

Percentage of *which* CPU? Or maybe you think that 200% means two core
are used? If yes, then how the operating system is supposed to do it if
there are not tasks in the program? And if there are some tasks, then
they are program entities and the programmer is supposed to decide how
many there are.

Ada is an imperative programming language and one of its major
advantage/disadvantage is that it allows you to be concerned with what's
going on under the hood.
There are some language where the programmer need not be concerned with
the number of cores that are used to solve the given problem (Prolog?
SQL?, etc.), but Ada is not one of them. And that's actually good.

Regards,

--
Maciej Sobczak * www.msobczak.com * www.inspirel.com